Friday, July 18, 2008

Fromista to Carrion de los Condes




Temperature: Mild
Mood: Still a little sad

Hello all,

If you look at the map at the bottom of my blog, I´m about 4 towns west of Burgos. Slowly but surely getting towards the goal of Santiago de Compestala. Its exciting news for me as I´ve travelled about 430 kilometers (a lot for me).

But, still a bit sad after saying goodbye to my group of fellow pilgrims in Burgos. And, as I said before, especially sad to say goodbye to Deiter. That was a bit emotional.

So, I was on my own to Fromista. And walking alone can always be reflective but it can be kind of lonely. I was cheered a little bit when I got to the albergue in Fromista. As you can see it is a bit of a paradise with a pool and everything!!! We all sat around the pool and drank limonade or beer and just relaxed after a 16 mile walk.

Then the next day, I began walking on my own to Carrion de los Condes,

The first 5 kilometers of the walk was heavenly - flat dry earth along a beautifully green river. This part of the walk I did on my own. I found myself praying and thanking God for all that he has given and shown me. It was early in the morning, about 6:30 and as I walked I realized how fortunate I am and how I just wanted to drink in this special moment.

A bit later, Karina from Barcelona and Meriella from France caught up to me on the road. We walked on together chanting: ¨Somos mujeres jovenes, fuertes y positivas¨. We are young, strong and positive women. We´re going to compete this last 25 kilometers if it kills us!!! :)

Later, when in Carrion de los Condes, many of us who are staying at the same hostal gathered for dinner. (See picture above) As Miguel de Cervantes, author of Don Quijote once said: Hunger is the best sauce.

And that´s right. Food never tasted so good.

Lastly, right before I went to bed, at the albergue, a group of young Spanish kids were playing games with the nuns of the hostal. Back home in the states, you rarely see nuns, but here in Spain, its so wonderful to see them all over. It reminded me of when I was young and in Catholic school.

Hasta pronto,
Andrea